Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Birthday to You


I may have said previously that we heart Dr. Seuss. It's still true.

I don't think I ever read this one growing up.

It's all about what happens on your birthday. It's all very magical and wonderful as usual - hot dogs, camels, cakes, presents, and parties. But the repeated chorus is, "If you'd never been born, well what would you do? . . . be? Why, you might be a WASN'T". You're special for being born and you're special because you are you.

The ending got me a little teary, "And I wish I could do all these great things for you!" (The reader most likely being a parent saying they would lavish their child on their birthday if they could.)

Layne was interested in the pictures but didn't get the deeper meaning. Guess who's getting this read to him on every birthday for the rest of his childhood.

No comments: